In this section, you will learn to build a simple Freshchat app using the following steps.
Step 1: Install NVM
Step 2: Install Node
Step 3: Install the CLI
Step 4: Create your First App
Step 5: Test your App
Step 6: Validate and Pack
Apps built on the Freshworks platform are compatible with the latest two versions of the following browsers.
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer - Not supported
It is recommended to use Node Version Manager (NVM) to install Node.js as it enables you to install and work with multiple versions of Node easily.
Check if Node exists in your computer by running the following command: node --version. Uninstall any existing Node version on your computer and remove all folders related to Node and NPM.
You can skip step 1 if you have already installed NVM.
To install Node.js, follow the given steps.
- To install Node using NVM, run the following command.
$ nvm install 10.18
Note: Support for Node 8.10.x has been deprecated.
- To verify the installed node version, type the following command.
$ node --version
Note: For Windows, if the node version is not displayed, you may need to enable nvm by running the command: nvm on
- To set the default node version with NVM, run the following command: $ nvm alias default 10.18
- For Windows, you need to install a few required tools and configurations by using the following command. $ npm install --global --production windows-build-tools For further reference, click here.
Install the CLI
You need to install the Freshworks CLI on your machine to build, test, and publish apps in Freshchat Marketplace.
1. Uninstall the previous CLI version by using the npm uninstall fdk -g command.
2. By installing the CLI, you agree to these Terms and Conditions.
- To install the CLI, run the following command. Copied Copy
- To verify the version, run the following command. $ fdk version
|npm install https://dl.freshdev.io/cli/fdk-6.0.1.tgz -g|
Create your First App
In this section, you will learn to create a simple app to display the Freshworks logo and name of the user(customer) on the Inbox page.
Open the terminal window, navigate to an empty directory in which you want to create your app, and follow the given steps.
- At the prompt, type fdk create
- From the product list, select freshchat and press Enter.
|app/||This directory contains all the files (HTML, JS, CSS, images, library) required for the front-end component of your app. The JS files must follow the ES5 standard.|
|app/icon.svg||This is the product icon file in the app directory created as part of the sample project. You can replace it with your own assets while building your app.
Note: The icon file should be of SVG type with a resolution of 64 x 64 pixels.
|app/template.html||This file contains the HTML required for the app’s UI which is rendered in an IFrame.|
|config/||This directory contains installation parameters and OAuth configuration files.|
|config/iparams.json||This file contains all the installation parameters which users will have to specify/set when they install the app. For more information on installation parameters and related APIs, see Installation Parameters.|
|manifest.json||This file contains details about your app and its characteristics.|
|README.md||This file contains any additional instructions or specifications which developers might want to outline.|
1. The iparam_test_data.json file has been deprecated. Before testing the app, navigate to http://localhost:10001/custom_configs and enter appropriate values for the configured installation parameters.
2. If you use React, Ember, Vue, or any other front-end framework, include the source files of your app in the src directory. This will ensure quick app reviews.
Test your App
- To test your app, use the latest version of Chrome.
- Ensure that you sign up for a Freshchat account.
- From the command line, navigate to the directory that contains the app related files and run the following command. $ fdk run
- Log in to your Freshchat account.
- To the Freshchat account URL, append ?dev=true. Example URL: https://web.freshchat.com/a/1234/inbox/1/0/conversation/9876?dev=true
- To allow the Chrome browser to connect to the test server that runs on HTTP,
- On Chrome 79 and higher versions:
- Navigate to Settings -> Advanced -> Privacy and security -> Site settings -> Insecure content.
- In the Allow section, click Add and enter the Freshchat account URL. Example URL: https://web.freshchat.com
- On Chrome 78 and lower versions:
- In the address bar, if a shield icon is displayed, click the icon. A warning message is displayed as the Support portal runs on HTTPS and the test server runs on HTTP.
- Click Load Unsafe Scripts to continue testing.
- On Chrome 79 and higher versions:
- From the Conversation panel, click any conversation. The app is rendered on the right side of the page.
1. Each component in the coverage summary should be at least 80% for apps to be submitted in Freshworks Marketplace. See Code coverage for more information.
2. If you have any issues when testing your app, attach detailed logs of the output in your support ticket for quick resolution from the support team.
Validate and Pack
To check if the app is error-free and package it for submission, follow the given steps.
- Navigate to your project folder and validate the code by using the following command. $ fdk validate [--app-dir DIR] Here, DIR is the relative or absolute path to the project directory.
- Once validation is successful, you can pack the project by running the following command. $ fdk pack [--app-dir DIR] The pack command generates the dist/my_first_app.zip file which you need to upload in the Developer portal to be published in Freshchat Marketplace. For information on the submission process, see the Types of Apps section in Marketplace Listing.